This article will take a look at a horizontal pinfire cartridge that has been unknown for quite some time. For awhile after I acquired it I could not figure out much about its history. But after discussing it with Fede Graziano we were able to get a little better understanding of it. This is the 14.5×48/49R Horizontal Pinfire cartridge and it was manufactured for or by Johann Jacob Peter of Stuttgart, Germany.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Read more about me and where my work has been published.
The Pinfire Page
The Pinfire Page was a recurring column I had in each issue of the bimonthly publication, The International Ammunition Journal. This compilation book combines together the first 5 years of my column, showcasing my research, images and other documents related to the pinfire system which was the first major breakthrough in modern ammunition.
- From Paris to Buenos Aires: The Hardware Trading Company of François and Jean Dellazoppa
- The Gun Wad Bible: The Third Edition of Christopher Saur’s Hausbieble and its Role in the Revolutionary War
- What is the pinfire system? And why was it invented?
- Schleber’s Long-Range, Thread-Wound Shot Cartridge Cases
- Henri Barthe & The Lark Mirror; with a Taste of Ortolan Bunting